Monday, September 22, 2008

Vegetable Puree's


About a year ago, Jessica Seinfeld's book, Deceptively Delicious, hit the shelves and talk shows. I went gaga for the idea of adding veggie purees to foods. I read the book, tried a few of the recipes then quickly realized I needed to adapt this idea into how my family eats (low on the meat, high on beans). My contributions to the vegetable tips this month will be how I use purees that don't make my kid question what they are eating!

First up, sauces and the purees that hide well in them:

1. Marinara Sauce: carrot, squash, sweet potato, cauliflower (I usually use 1/3 c of 2 different purees for this on pizza, spaghetti, pasta bakes...)
2. BBQ Sauce: carrot and cauliflower (1/3 cup of 1 or 1/4 cup of each)
3. White sauces: cauliflower or yellow squash


I use my rice cooker to "steam" the veggies and my blender to puree them. Now I'm off to start my next batch!

2 comments:

kristenita said...

I LOVE this idea. I have that cookbook too & have tried a few - tonight actually, I made the macaroni & cheese, which my fam loves. the more you make the recipes, the more veggie purees you can add, too & nobody knows.

there are a few recipes on the website too, if I remember right.

lrbodine said...

What a great idea. Tell me how you use your rice cooker to steam veggies. I've never thought of that but I do have a rice cooker... I really need to pick up this recipe book.