Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Spring cleaning dishwasher style

(this dishwasher, from Getty Images, has obviously been cleaned)

Have you ever cleaned your dishwasher? I mean, on purpose. Not because you spilled something that had to be cleaned up. I'm a little embarrassed to say that I have not (please someone be embarrassed with me!). Thanks goodness Heloise has a quick, easy solution to this overlooked chore:

First, clean up any gunk in the drain. Then start a cycle with an empty dishwasher. When the bottom is full of water, add 2 cups of vinegar and let that sit for 30 minutes. Then get out a good scrubbing device and give the walls and inside of the door and good scrub (it will be your arm workout for the week, it you've neglected like me:) Then let the cycle finish.

I'm off to do that right now!

*i'm really interested in the percentage of gals who've done this chore before. Comments please!

10 comments:

laura said...

doesn't it clean itself?

i probably won't do this job. ever. but i will have my mom do it for me next time i have a baby.

(she cleans my oven and microwave and freezer for me about every two years. but i work hard for it with nine months of pregnancy and then labor and delivery.)

kristenita said...

never!

(but which is more embarrassing? to admit I have NEVER cleaned my dishwasher or to admit the thought had never even crossed my mind?)

Lizzy @ The Tip Spot said...

funny laura! i've never cleaned my over either...

Kristen, I'm happy to share my thoughtlessness with you!

kelly said...

You can clean a dishwasher?!?!

Sarah said...

I totally have never cleaned my dishwasher. I thought it was self cleaning also.

Dave and Briste said...

Ladies just what I need one more thing to add to my to do list! Thanks for the info because it would of never crossed my mind to do that. Actually good idea to add to Dave's to do list. He is crazy about the dishwasher and making sure it is loaded a certain way and if not will take everything out and reload. He is my Dirty Dishes King!

Dave and Briste said...

Just ask Glenn about Dave's obsession with the dishwasher

Lizzy @ The Tip Spot said...

I'm so glad it wasn't just me!

Sarah said...

I saw on the Today show that you can also clean plastic toys in the dishwasher.

Lisa-Lou-Who said...

Add me to the "never" list.