Monday, June 9, 2008

Shower Curtains and Magnets

I'm cheap. I like bargains. I like things that are free. I like to recycle things I already have for new purposes.

Plastic shower curtain liners are a great thing to recycle, especially if you haven't made the switch to cloth yet (and I will when I have a washer and dryer).

You can use them as drop cloths for painting walls, furniture, or other craft projects. You can use them as a tarp under a small tent, or under a tablecloth to protect your table. You can cut them up into different sizes according to whatever your needs may be.



My little girl is a scientist in training (which I love!) and is very curious about the world around her. We discovered that the magnets in the bottom of the shower curtain are the perfect size for playing and experimenting. They are a little bigger than a dime and are strong enough to pick up small objects and hold a paper on the fridge.

We will spend a good half hour finding objects around the house to see if they will or will not stick to the magnet, and watching the magnets "jump" away from each other.



Two shower curtains X 3 magnets each X changing them every couple of months, and we have a whole slew of magnets to play with.

Sometime when I get a spare minute, I'm going to use some of the extras to make those really great glass bead refrigerator magnets that everyone I know has on their fridge.


(image via Dragonflies' Etsy shop)

2 comments:

Shepherd Family ACALPM said...

You can also machine wash the vinyl shower curtains with a bit of bleach and give them another go round....

Mumsy said...

Oh...good to know! Actually, I do remember doing that when I was growing up. Sometimes I just fill up the tub and let them soak or spray them with bleach--that is until the mildew sprouts legs and threatens to run away. :)