Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Tippin' Tuesday


vicks.com


The tip today comes from our Uncle Fred, and is very handy with the colds rampant in my house and across the country!

During a lecture on Essential Oils, they told us how the foot soles can absorb oils. Their example: Put garlic on your feet and within 20 minutes you can 'taste' it. Some of us have used Vicks Vapo rub for years for everything from chapped lips to sore toes and many body parts in between. But I've never heard of this. And don't laugh, it works 100% of the time, although the scientists who discovered it aren't sure why. To stop night time coughing in a child (or adult as we found out personally), put Vicks Vapo rub generously on the bottom of the feet at bedtime, then cover with socks. Even persistent, heavy, deep coughing will stop in about 5 minutes and stay stopped for many, many hours of relief. Works 100% of the time and is more effective in children than even very strong prescription cough medicines. In addition it is extremely soothing and comforting and they will sleep soundly. Just happened to tune in A.M. Radio and picked up this guy talking about why cough medicines in kids often do more harm than good, due to the chemical makeup of these strong drugs so, I listened. It was a surprise finding and found to be more effective than prescribed medicines for children at bedtime, in addition to have a soothing and calming effect on sick children who then went on to sleep soundly. My wife tried it on herself when she had a very deep persistent cough a few weeks ago and it worked 100%! She said that it felt like a warm blanket had enveloped her, coughing stopped in a few minutes and believe me, this was a deep, (incredibly annoying!) every few seconds uncontrollable cough, and she slept cough-free for hours every night that she used it.

I used this with Haven last week, and it wasn't perfect BUT helped a lot! Also checked it out on snopes.com, where it is listed as "undetermined". No real medical findings, but my little test at home showed it's at least worth buying a jar and giving it a try! A fabulous tip from our great uncle!

2 comments:

Shepherd Family ACALPM said...

I am a big Vick's fan, I actually use it almost every night just a dab under my nose helps open me up, Especially when pregnant and I have a harder time breathing. But None the less I use it all the time! It works for my snuffy sick nose too...

Ellen on the go said...

I have tried it many times and it really does work. Much better than rubbing on your chest. yuck.